Just how safe is the Peace Corps?

A few weeks ago, there was an explosion in Accra, the capital of Ghana. It was pretty bad, and I thought my family might see it on the news and worry about me. I texted them to let them know I was alright, that the explosion was miles and miles away from me, and that there was nothing to worry about.

The response? "We didn't hear about the explosion, but we've been worried about you every minute since you got on that plane to Ghana."

I don't think this is uncommon for the families of people who join the Peace Corps. You're sending your loved one off for more than two years to a foreign country, and it ain't no Paris, France. Rightly or wrongly, I think many people have the perception that the countries that Peace Corps operates in are fundamentally dangerous in some way that the United States is not.

Is there any truth to this?

Not too much to be afraid of when this is the main road out of town.

I can't speak for every Peace Corps country. Each country has its own unique challenges. Peace Corps operates in over 60 countries, from Fiji to Ukraine, and there aren't really any generalizations that can be made about such a huge swath of the world. I know there are Peace Corps countries where PCVs aren't allowed to travel throughout most of the country because of safety issues, and others where PCVs are isolated in such a way that accessing help could be a challenge. There are only a few towns in Ghana where PCVs are prevented from travelling, mostly due to chieftaincy disputes.

What I can say is that in my village, I feel safe. Everyone knows me, and if they're going out of their way to interact with me, they're almost certainly trying to help me with something. They're also generally quite concerned about my well-being; once I accidentally left my bicycle out into the evening, and four different people came by to scold me and tell me to take it in so that thieves wouldn't come by and take it. A guy from across the village texted that he had heard through the grapevine that my bike had been left out, and that I should please be more careful.

To be fair, there are certain hazards present in Ghana that aren't present in the United States. I take medication every day and sleep under a mosquito net at night to protect myself from malaria. The roads and cars are generally in pretty bad shape, and there are definitely moments when I'm travelling where I have stopped and questioned every decision in my life that's led to me barreling down the pot-holed road to certain doom.

It's also fair to say there are dangers that we live with in the USA that aren't present here in Ghana, or are present to a much lesser extent. A mass shooting here, or in most countries where Peace Corps works, would be unthinkable; in the USA, it's routine.

Just because I feel safe doesn't mean every one does. I do know several volunteers who've been the victims of crime here, ranging from theft to assault. I can't presume to speak for them or their experiences, and I know I've been fortunate to stay safe so far in country.

So is Peace Corps safe? I guess my answer is "mostly." There are risks that we face no matter where we go in the world. Most PCVs complete their terms of service and go home safe and sound to America, a little older and hopefully wiser. I have no reason to doubt that I'll do the same. But there's nothing that can be done to eliminate all risk--nor is there in the United States, to be fair.

I don't think people should be scared away from Peace Corps because of safety issues, any more than they should be scared away from life. So Mom and Dad, don't worry. I promise to bring my bicycle in at night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fat, rich, and forty

One PCV's trash...

A tale of two funerals